Search This Blog

Memories of Records - Introduction At Age 4

A Little Background Plus+

There is no other way to describe my introduction to music as there is no lead-in, no exciting story to what brought me to that point. My parents bought me and my two older sisters The Beatles “A Hard Day’s Night” 45 (with picture sleeve – now worth up to $150 in mint condition) in 1964 and I never looked back, although there was nothing to look back on. I was 4 or 5 years old and succumbed to my first addiction – music.

I recently found a box of old 45s that were purchased by members of my family throughout the early years. The Beatles were the focus, with a Rolling Stones “Get off of My Cloud” (with picture sleeve – I have seen up to about $75 in mint condition), and some great Motown. Some other 45s included The Jaggerz “The Rapper” (no, this record does not make me a trendsetter – it is not
that kind of Rapper - trust me), The Fifth Estate “Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead” (yup, the song from The Wizard of Oz and most likely one of my sisters 45) along with a few from The Monkees. You get the picture.

My passion of music has been passed to my oldest daughter. We talk a lot about what it was like for me growing up a music-fanatic in the 60’s and 70’s, and my continued amazement at kids listening to the same music I did. In a weird sort of analogy, it is the same as me listening to music of the 1920s and 1930s. Fred Astaire? The man could cut a rug but his music? (NOTE: For the purpose of full disclosure I have grown to like the blues, jazz, and classical of that era. Also, for full disclosure part deux, I was shocked when my Dad told me he sold all of his Frank Sinatra stone-cold mint Columbia and Capitol Records-era records for a dime a piece a few years back).

Anyway, this got me thinking. There are several LPs and/or songs that I (for whatever reason) remember purchasing and/or hearing throughout my young life. I thought it may be kinda cool to pass on to you some of them with why I think I remember them. If there is no one out there that could do these fear not, it’s probably very strange - if there is, I would like to read some of your stories.

Here goes:

1964 (age 4)

The Beatles: A Hard Day’s Night b/w I Should Have Known Better (45) Capitol 5222 (Released July 10, 1964)





I thought that we received this as a gift on Easter, but the single came out in July, 1964. So either I am wrong that it was Easter or it must have been 1965. Based on the next record there is no doubt that my Easter recollection is incorrect, because there is no doubt that the next record was received on Christmas 1964.

The Beatles: I Feel Fine b/w She’s A Woman (45) Capitol 5327 (Released November 23, 1964)



The great intros on both sides “I Feel Fine” (sustained guitar note) and “She’s A Woman” (hammering dn-dn-dn-dn-dn-dn-dn-dn. It sounded like an anvil being hit); the great riffs and singing – just what the doctor ordered on a fine, snowy Christmas in Rochester, NY. The fact that the picture sleeve was a great picture from a concert (found out later it is from an August 1964 show in Vegas) with those incredible Vox amps just added to the coolness.

No comments:

Post a Comment