Search This Blog

An Open Letter from Tower Records President



This letter was recently sent to artists and industry leaders....

For those that know me know that I have written this myself, no PR folks or copywriters, etc.  You also know how passionate and serious I am about changing the current business climate, if even just from my little corner of the world….so here it goes.

In my first year at Tower, my focus has been on recapturing the vibe of a brand that had seen a lot of damage incurred since the initial 2004 bankruptcy.  We believe that a good plan, honesty and transparency are how we have succeeded in the initial stages.  We are in the process of updating a business plan/model that I strongly believe will succeed financially, fit with the Tower Records brand as a cultural icon, and provide a strong advocate of artists. 

For many of you that have worked with me know, my mission revolves around how to make music enjoyable again to a large audience.  Thanks to various “improvements” in the industry music, especially with the younger generations, music is now background, white-noise.  The majors only get behind the latest fad – content about an artist and the effort they put behind their art is lost. 

Our shareholders have decided that Tower may not fit their portfolio, thus Tower.com, Inc. (Tower Records), including all intellectual property (international trademarks), is on the market for investor(s) or purchaser(s).  Note that this decision was made internally months ago, so this status does not mean that Tower is closing, liquidating or filing bankruptcy.  My reason for sharing this with you is in the spirit of transparency and to ask for your help in “spreading the word.”  If you or anyone you know may have any interest I would greatly appreciate it if you contact me at the below.

We have had many great moments in 2010, but, we are at a point when execution is the key.  The industry is (again) in a state of flux; there are some great models out there but in my opinion, too many choices within them, which means that there is a great opportunity for the right plan with the right brand.  Those who know me or have worked with me understand that my passion is in the advocacy of the arts.  If your music is listened to and enjoyed it is beneficial for the listener as well.  Tower Records is the brand that can get us there.

I would greatly appreciate the following:


Peace,

Richard Flynn, President
Tower Records
Tower.com, Inc.
email: rflynn@tower.com

No comments:

Post a Comment